Thursday, September 13, 2018

The Furnace: Words I Never Said


Kevin Flowers returns on this 2009 offering from The Furnace, and he's better than ever. In fact, Words I Never Said is the best album so far, which means they keep getting better with each record. Do you realize how fucking rare that is? Most bands peak when they start and spend the rest of their time struggling to achieve their early success. Somehow, The Furnace keeps growing, regardless of the lineup. And with Paul Burch back on drums, we have the original Kevin Flowers, Paul Burch, Dan Drago chemistry that made their initial launch some ten years earlier an incredible force.

Lead guitar also makes a comeback on this album. Not that the music or the riffs on the previous discs have been subpar. This time around, the songs are laced with exhilarating solos that sizzle like acid. Whether it's Dan or Casey Weaver shredding makes no difference. These eight songs are a rock lovers dream come true.

"Over Again" opens the set of eight songs with Kevin's trademark balance of soft phrasing and rock shouting as only he does. In fact, the more I listen to this group, especially this album, the more I hear Nirvana's undeniable influence. Throw in a little Hootie and the Blowfish for good measure when the song gets cozy and you've got an undeniable classic. The chorus for this track is about as catchy as anything The Furnace has given us so far. I don't know who penned the lyrics, but with Kevin at the mic, I can't help but wonder how much is autobiography. With The Furnace, he's found his way back home. And I love it!

The third track, "The One That Bleeds," is about as heavy as, and kicks as much fucking ass as, any hard rocker this century. It recalls "Make Me Bleed" from Find a Way with its aggressive Sabbath-inspired riffs and cutthroat desperation. That uptempo drive punctuating the end makes me pound my fist into the dashboard as I crank up the volume on my CD player.

Next in line, "Don't Turn Away," starts with clean acoustic playing under Kevin's best Darius Rucker. Makes me wonder if Kevin listens to, or sang any country music, at any point in his career. It blends effortlessly with the hard rock that emerges as we're thrust into the chorus full throttle. I love the melody of all the structures building within this song. Kevin raises the bar, proving once and for all, that he owns this genre. Again, I don't know anything personal about these bandmates (except for Danny), so I can't help but wonder if his reluctant return to the bottle reflects real life struggles. If so, I hope they all get the relief and help they're after. After so many weeks in a row listening to their music, we're like best friends now. I carry their emotions with me in my back pocket.

Up fifth is "Simple Things," a radio friendly rocker kickstarted by Paul's rumbling drums that lead directly into Kevin's iconic raspy vocals. We get a throwback to a Zakk Wylde-inspired solo, returning The Furnace to its roots in 90s metal. The catchy refrain doubles as part of the bridge over a minimized riff and haunting drums. The song ends with Kevin's best power scream. Honestly, I don't know how this fucking band didn't make it big. With this album and this song, it's so obvious that they've mastered the genre and give us everything we want from heavy music. The production and engineering are brilliant. The songwriting continues to mature and impress.

"Reborn (Samsara)" drops in as the seventh track with crackling that could've been sampled from one of my dad's old vinyl records. We get thumping drums and a classic hard rock riff before Kevin launches into his most passionate refrain: "We are born/to what was torn/crucified no more." Once again, these lyrics speak to their personal journeys as artists and musicians, celebrating this reunion. The guitars hiccup during the prechorus, the lines of the bridge echo, and suddenly the bottom drops out into an acoustic verse. "Take a look at yourself," Kevin warns. And we know what he means. You don't get many chances in life. Take what you're given and fucking make something of yourself. That ending chant sounds like an ancient ritual. I'm blown away.

The climax of everything they've accomplished so far as The Furnace arrives in the final song of the album, "Words I Never Said." Part apology, part accusation - we get another glimpse into the struggles and heartbreaks of these bandmates. "Will I ever find the words I never said?" Not long ago, I was asked to cite an example of something by somebody else I wish I would've written. This is it. Not Shakespeare, not Dickens, not even my literary hero, Stephen King. That poetic line plagues my soul. The tempo change halfway leads through Kevin's demonic incantation abruptly followed by his shout to the heavens. The perfect contrast of structure and mood. Truly, this song ends with the best guitar solo I've heard by The Furnace. Recalls some of the best live Randy Rhodes work, "Mr. Crowley" and "Children of the Grave." Kevin's final notes cascade into screams. 

Look, I know it's easy for you to think: Hey, Tommy only likes this shit because it's his little brother's fucking band. Fuck you. That couldn't be further from the truth. My brother and I are our biggest critics. He tells me when something I write sucks, and I love him for it. This music is damn good. I would tell him if it weren't. I wish he/they would've headlined fucking rock arenas, believe me. But that just wasn't in the cards. I'm not tearing up the bestseller charts with my novels. And you know what? That's fucking okay. We enjoy what we do. It's so obvious on this record that The Furnace is having fun, if only for a moment. Thank God for that. 

Please pick up your copy of Words I Never Said. You won't be disappointed. Up next, their final album: Live Till You Die.

No comments:

Post a Comment